Airports in India

India

Airports in India – Kerala, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Mumbai


Airports in a country do not measure only the comfort level of the commutations in and out of the country, but in turn determines the standard of the country in terms of business excellence, international competence, etc…

Building an ultimate airport with significant features and upgraded quality infrastructures, means more people willing to travel to the country, especially the facilities more likely to enhance the business opportunities and commercial contracts to the country. Further, when an airport is being renovated, or expanded on a large scale, then it automatically brings in huge number of domestic job opportunities too, thus expansion, or innovation of airports, be it an international airports, or domestic ones, it is a good news to everyone in the country. When considering the airports in the country, the airports in the 5 important metro cities, Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, and Bangalore, becomes an unavoidable choice to discuss the same, as these cities bag the international airports that are well maintained to the up-to-date global standards. The Airports Authority of India (AAI) acts as the single vertex organization, which resulted as the successful consequences of after being merged with the National Airports Authority and International Airports Authority of India. Today, it manages around 125 airports, comprising 11 international airports, 8 customs airports, 81 domestic airports, in addition to the 27 civil enclaves functionalities.

Indira Gandhi International Airport

Holding the position of the largest airports in the country, its Terminal 3 is being ranked as world’s eighth largest passenger terminal, which is the newly integrated passenger terminal of the airport whose first phase had been accomplished for its operations in the year 2010, right before the commencements of the Commonwealth games in the country. The significant feature of the terminal is that it has the capability of handling in around 60 million passengers per year, and this is being the initial expansion phase of the airport, as it has got more plans for building in new terminals and runways with a capacity of handling around 100 million passengers per year. It has also accomplished the inauguration of the new domestic terminal 1D in the year 2009 and progressing with a mission of enhancing the capacity of domestic terminals to handle around 10 million passengers per year.

Bengaluru International Airport

The new Bengaluru international airport is a public limited company in which the private promoters hold in 74% of the stake and the remaining 26% owned by the government. The airport which is been well spread on 4000 acres of land, possess the capability of handling in about 9.3 million passengers in the year 2009, and continuously undergoing expansion plans for building in new competent terminals and improved air traffic movements. Well, the airport being the hub to around 10 domestic airlines and 21 international airlines, and gets connected to more than 50 destinations in India and across the world, is expected to expand and grow further, thereby capable of handling in more than 16 million passengers by the year 2015.

Likewise, the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport in Mumbai is one of the busiest airports in the country in terms of its passenger traffic and handled more than 25.8 million passengers by the year 2008. It has signed up a contract with NATS, which is one of UK’s premier air navigation service providers in the year 2011, to increase the airside capacity enhancements in the near future.

<< Go Back to India